Gallstones often don't cause symptoms. But if you have a gallbladder attack, you're not likely to forget it.
Henoch-Schonlein purpura causes inflammation of small blood vessels (vasculitis) and often a purplish rash. It's most common in children ages 2 to 6.
Mesenteric lymphadenitis is an inflammation of the lymph nodes in the tissue that attaches various organs to your abdominal wall (mesentery). It mainly affects children.
The pain of pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas, can last for days, or in chronic cases, for years. Pancreatitis can lead to serious complications.
An umbilical hernia causes a bulge near the navel. Most umbilical hernias close on their own by age 1.
Oct. 10, 2012
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm. Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm.aspx. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Abdominal ultrasound. Radiological Society of North America and American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=abdominus. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: Recommendation statement. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsaneu.htm. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Health care guideline: Preventive services for adults. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/preventive_services_for_adults/preventive_services_for_adults_4.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Dabare D, et al. What is the role of screening in the management of abdominal aortic aneurysms? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2012;14:399.
- United Kingdom EVAR Investigators. Endovascular versus open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;362:1863.
- Chaer RA. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.