- Expertise. Mayo Clinic experts are leaders in the use of the latest hysterectomy techniques. Whenever possible your surgeon will choose minimally invasive surgery, performed through an incision in the vagina or through small abdominal incisions (laparoscopic or robotic surgery).
- Experience. Mayo Clinic gynecologic surgeons perform an average of 500 hysterectomies every year, including robotic hysterectomies.
- Team approach. Multispecialty teams include gynecologic surgeons and other specialists as needed who can recommend the most appropriate treatment for you.
- Research. Mayo Clinic gynecologic surgeons are leaders in research on non-surgical management options for several conditions — including fibroids, endometriosis and heavy menstrual bleeding — that are otherwise treated with a hysterectomy.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for gynecology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings.
Aug. 15, 2017
- Walters M. Choosing a route of hysterectomy for benign disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Hysterectomy. First consult. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Hysterectomy fact sheet. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/hysterectomy.html. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Baggish MS. Robotic surgery in gynecology. Atlas of Pelvic Anatomy and Gynecologic Surgery. 4th ed. Saunders Elsevier. Philadelphia, Pa: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Stovall T, et al. Abdominal hysterectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- Bakkum-Gamez J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 14, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ008. Hysterectomy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq008.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20121106T1337303494. Accessed Dec. 4, 2015.
- The rise and rise of robotic hysterectomy. BMJ. 2013;346:f1116.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 24, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 10, 2015.