- Expertise. Mayo Clinic experts are leaders in the use of the latest hysterectomy techniques. Whenever possible your surgeon will choose minimally invasive surgery, performed through an incision in the vagina or through small abdominal incisions (laparoscopic surgery). Depending on your needs, you may be a candidate for robotic hysterectomy.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic gynecologic surgeons perform hundreds of hysterectomies every year, including robotic hysterectomies.
- Team approach. Multispecialty teams include gynecologic surgeons and other specialists as needed who can recommend the most appropriate treatment for you.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for gynecology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for gynecology by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for gynecology by U.S. News & World Report.
Dec. 11, 2012
- Stovall TG, et al. Abdominal hysterectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 6, 2012.
- Hoffman BL, et al. Williams Gynecology. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=768. Accessed Nov. 6, 2012.
- Falcone T, et al. Overview of hysterectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ008. Hysterectomy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq008.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20121106T1337303494. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Hysterectomy fact sheet. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health. http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/hysterectomy.cfm. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- About hysterectomy: Surgical removal of the uterus, or womb. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/public_info/operation/brochures/hysterectomy.pdf. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Nieboer TE, et al. Surgical approach to hysterectomy for benign gynaecological disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003677.pub4/abstract. Accessed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Bakkum-Gamez JN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 27, 2012.