Diabetes affects how your body uses blood sugar. Too much blood sugar over long periods can cause serious health problems, but treatments are available.
Do you have type 2 diabetes? Find out what can happen if you don't follow your treatment plan or check your blood sugar regularly.
Hyperglycemia in diabetes — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatments of high blood sugar.
Learn how healthy eating, exercise and getting enough sleep can help you keep prediabetes from turning into type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes destroys your body's ability to produce insulin. Learn how you can live an active, healthy life with type 1 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes is a lifelong — sometimes frightening — condition, but it doesn't need to slow your child down. Learn more about managing type 1 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes is on the rise — but here's information that may help you stop diabetes in its tracks.
The obesity epidemic is fueling a growing problem — type 2 diabetes in children. Make prevention a family affair.
Jan. 30, 2013
- A1c and eAG. American Association for Clinical Chemistry. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/a1c/test.html. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Malkani S, et al. Implications of using hemoglobin A1C for diagnosing diabetes mellitus. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:395.
- A1C. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/a1c/. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Nathan DM, et al. International Expert Committee report on the role of the A1C assay in the diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:1327.
- The A1C test and diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/A1CTest/. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- How often should A1c and LDLs be checked? American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-pharmacist/archives/how-often-should-a1c-and-ldls.html?&print=t. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Castro RM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 9, 2012
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2013. Diabetes Care. 2013:36:S1.