Bacterial vaginosis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments and prevention of this common vaginal infection.
Cervicitis, an inflammation of the cervix, can result from a sexually transmitted disease. You can take steps to reduce your risk.
An ectopic pregnancy can't continue normally — but prompt treatment can help prevent life-threatening blood loss.
Miscarriage can be heartbreaking. It might help to understand possible causes and treatment options, as well as what to expect for the future.
Molar pregnancy — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment of this tumor in the uterus.
Placenta accreta — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms and treatment of this serious pregnancy condition.
Placenta previa is a pregnancy complication that can cause excessive bleeding before or during delivery. Treatment may include bed rest or a C-section birth.
Placental abruption is a dangerous pregnancy complication. Control your risk factors — and know when to seek emergency care.
Preterm labor — Comprehensive overview covers the symptoms, treatment and prevention of preterm labor.
Vaginitis is an irritating inflammation of the vagina often caused by fungi (yeasts), bacteria or parasites. Treatment depends on the type of vaginitis you have.
Apr. 16, 2013
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 128. Diagnosis of abnormal uterine bleeding in reproductive-aged women. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;120:197.
- South-Paul JE, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=52. Accessed Mar. 4, 2013.
- Schmitz G, et al. Genitourinary emergencies in the nonpregnant woman. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2011:29;621.
- Goodman AK. Initial approach to the premenopausal woman with abnormal uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the most common causes of abnormal uterine bleeding? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the most common causes of postmenopausal vaginal bleeding? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Casper RF. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of menopause. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2013.
- Goodman AK. Postmenopausal uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Zacur HA. Managing an episode of severe or prolonged uterine bleeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed March 5, 2013.
- Tsai MC, et al. Office diagnosis and management of abnormal uterine bleeding. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;55:635.
- Paradise J. Evaluation of vaginal bleeding in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Hickey M, et al. Unscheduled bleeding in continuous combined hormone therapy users. Maturitas. 2011;70:400.
- Fritz MA, et al., eds. Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&NEWS=n&CSC=Y&PAGE=booktext&D=books&AN=01437507$&XPATH=/PG(0). Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Goodman AK. Overview of causes of genital tract bleeding in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ162. Perimenopausal bleeding and bleeding after menopause. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq162.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130329T1216499168. Accessed March 22, 2013.
- General information about vaginal cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/vaginal/Patient/page1. Accessed March 21, 2013.
- Shah SH, et al. Uterine sarcomas: Then and now. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2012;199:213.
- Gonorrhea - CDC Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/stdfact-gonorrhea.htm. Accessed March 21, 2013.