Angina is a common type of chest pain caused by coronary artery disease. Unstable angina can be a warning sign of a heart attack.
Bone spurs can sometimes interfere with joint function or press on nerves.
An ectopic pregnancy can't continue normally — but prompt treatment can help prevent life-threatening blood loss.
Reduce eyestrain by following these simple tips.
Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, is a condition characterized by stiffness, pain and limited motion in the shoulder joint.
Gallstones often don't cause symptoms. But if you have a gallbladder attack, you're not likely to forget it.
Myocardial ischemia is a heart problem that occurs when blood flow to your heart muscle is decreased, reducing the heart's oxygen supply.
Pleurisy is the painful inflammation of the membranes that surround your lungs. The cause can be one of a number of underlying conditions.
Polymyalgia rheumatica is an inflammatory disorder that causes pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, upper arms, hips and thighs.
Pseudotumor cerebri — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of increased pressure inside the skull.
A rotator cuff injury is a painful shoulder condition often caused by lifting, falling or repetitive motions. Explore treatments including exercise therapy, medications and surgery.
A separated shoulder is an injury to a specific joint in the shoulder. Conservative treatment is usually effective.
If you have symptoms of heart disease, but your doctor doesn't see any blocked major arteries, small vessel disease may be the cause.
Find out about this rare cause of heart attack in young, healthy people.
A tension headache is the most common form of headache. A number of treatments are available to help you deal with the pain.
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a group of disorders that occur when the nerves or vessels in the shoulder area (thoracic outlet) are compressed.
Apr. 08, 2014
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed June 7, 2013.
- Seller RH. Differential Diagnosis of Common Complaints. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012:301.
- Anderson BC, et al. Evaluation of the patient with shoulder complaints. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 7, 2013.
- Zeiger Roni F. McGraw-Hill's Diagnosaurus 2.0. http://www.accessmedicine.com/diag.aspx. Accessed June 7, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 12, 2013.