Think you have alcohol intolerance? Here's what might be causing your reaction to wine, beer or other beverages.
Bronchiolitis is an infection of the lungs' airways that starts out like a cold but progresses to coughing and wheezing. It's common in infants.
More than an annoyance, a chronic cough can significantly affect your quality of life. Find out how it's diagnosed and treated.
Chronic daily headaches strike nearly every day. Aggressive initial treatment and steady, long-term management can help reduce pain and lead to fewer headaches.
Cluster headaches usually occur repeatedly on one side of your head and cause intense pain that feels like a stabbing sensation in your eye.
You've got a cold, or you're trying to prevent getting one. Here are some timely tips.
Do you feel as if you're constantly wiping your baby's nose? Learn to recognize, treat and prevent the common cold.
Dust mite allergy, an immune system reaction to inhaled dust mite "debris," causes hay fever symptoms and may cause allergy-induced asthma.
Children of all ages experience headaches, but the causes aren't all the same. Here's how to help your child.
MRSA is a virulent form of staph bacteria, often contracted in health care settings, that resists most antibiotics. Learn the symptoms and how to prevent infection.
Nasal polyps, inflammation-related growths in the nasal passages or sinuses, can block the flow of air and fluid in your nose.
Nonallergic rhinitis is a condition in which the lining of your nose swells, causing a stuffy nose — but no identifiable allergy is involved.
Peanut allergy can be serious. Find out what you need to know to prevent a life-threatening reaction.
Roseola is a common infection of childhood. The condition causes a fever that lasts several days, followed by a rash on the trunk and neck.
Rubella, a contagious viral infection, is most dangerous to pregnant women. Rubella can be prevented with the combined measles-mumps-rubella vaccine.
Swollen lymph nodes usually indicate an infection, particularly in children. However, there are many causes, ranging from the common cold to cancer.
Wegener's granulomatosis is an uncommon disease that causes blood vessel inflammation that can damage lungs, kidneys and other organs. Untreated, it can be fatal.
Mar. 27, 2013
- Post-nasal drip. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/postNasalDrip.cfm. Accessed Jan. 16, 2013.
- Nasal congestion and rhinorrhea. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckusa.com/mmpe/print/sec08/ch089/ch089c.html. Accessed Jan. 16, 2013.
- Schroer B, et al. Nonallergic rhinitis: Common problem, chronic symptoms. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2012;79:285.
- LeBlond RF, ed., et al. DeGowin's Diagnostic Examination. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=534. Accessed Jan. 20, 2013.
- Images in clinical medicine: Cerebrospinal fluid leak. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;361:e26.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 20, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Jan. 20, 2013.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 20, 2013.