Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura is a blood-clotting disorder that can lead to easy bruising and bleeding. Treatment depends on the severity of symptoms.
Leukemia is a cancer in which abnormal white blood cells proliferate. Although it's often perceived as a children's disease, leukemia also occurs in adults.
Thrombocytopenia is the medical term for a low platelet count in the blood. It usually occurs as a side effect of a disease or medication.
May. 05, 2012
- Paulman PM, et al. Taylor's 10-minute Diagnosis Manual: Symptoms and Signs in the Time-Limited Encounter. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:343.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Feb. 20, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Feb. 20, 2012.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06715-0..X5001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06715-0&uniqId=230100505-56. Accessed Feb. 20, 2012.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 22, 2012.