It's important to determine the cause of hand numbness. If numbness persists or spreads to other parts of your body, consult your doctor for an evaluation.
Treatment of numbness in your hands depends on the underlying cause.
Call 911 or get emergency medical help if your numbness:
Begins suddenly, particularly if it's accompanied by weakness or paralysis, confusion, difficulty talking, dizziness, or a sudden, severe headache.
Schedule an office visit if your numbness:
April 08, 2016
- Begins or worsens gradually and persists
- Spreads to other parts of your body
- Affects both sides of your body
- Comes and goes
- Seems related to certain tasks or activities, particularly repetitive motions
- Affects only a part of your hand, such as a finger
- Ferri FF. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/detail_stroke.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Rosenfeld J, et al. Numbness: A practical guide for family physicians. American Academy of Neurology. https://www.aan.com/uploadedFiles/Website_Library_Assets/Documents/4.CME_and_Training/2.Training/4.Clerkship_and_Course_Director_Resources/FM_Chp3.pdf. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- De Keyser F. Ganglion cysts of the wrist and hand. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Raynaud's disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/raynaud/ray_all.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Numbness. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/symptoms/numbness/index.asp. Accessed Feb. 2, 2016.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Stabler SP. Vitamin B12 deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;368:149.
- Cervical spondylosis (arthritis of the neck). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00369. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Ganglion (cyst) of the wrist. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00006. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Syrinx. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec16/ch224/ch224j.html. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- NINDS Brachial Plexus Injuries Information Page. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brachial_plexus/brachial_plexus.htm Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Katirji B. Disorders of peripheral nerves. In: Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 7th ed. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/browse/book/3-s2.0-C20130000801. Accessed Jan. 19, 2016.
- Briemberg HR, et al. Approach to the patient with sensory loss. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Levin K. Cervical spondylitic myelopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2016.
- Vriesendorp FJ. Clinical features and diagnosis of Guillain-Barré syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2016.
- Clinical manifestations of Sjögren's syndrome: Extraglandular disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2016.
- Bowden JL, et al. The prevalence and magnitude of impaired cutaneous sensation across the hand in the chronic period post-stroke. PLoS ONE. 2014;9: e104153.