Acute sinusitis occurs when your sinus cavities become inflamed. Antibiotics, decongestants and corticosteroids may relieve pain and congestion and prevent development of chronic sinusitis.
Bronchiolitis is an infection of the lungs' airways that starts out like a cold but progresses to coughing and wheezing. It's common in infants.
More than an annoyance, a chronic cough can significantly affect your quality of life. Find out how it's diagnosed and treated.
Chronic sinusitis involves long-term inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities. Medications can help, and in rare cases surgery can treat this painful condition.
Cluster headaches usually occur repeatedly on one side of your head and cause intense pain that feels like a stabbing sensation in your eye.
You've got a cold, or you're trying to prevent getting one. Here are some timely tips.
Do you feel as if you're constantly wiping your baby's nose? Learn to recognize, treat and prevent the common cold.
Dust mite allergy, an immune system reaction to inhaled dust mite "debris," causes hay fever symptoms and may cause allergy-induced asthma.
Food allergy symptoms can make you miserable. Unfortunately, there's no cure — but there are steps you can take to keep your symptoms in check.
A common bacterium, group B strep may cause serious illness, especially in newborns, older adults and people who have certain chronic health conditions.
Children of all ages experience headaches, but the causes aren't all the same. Here's how to help your child.
Humidifiers can provide soothing relief of dry skin, asthma and other conditions during the winter months. But don't let yours become a household health hazard.
March 27, 2013
- Stuffy nose. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/stuffyNose.cfm. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013
- Nasal congestion and rhinorrhea. The Merck Manuals Online: Merck Professional Edition. http://www.merckusa.com/mmpe/print/sec08/ch089/ch089c.html. Accessed Jan. 16, 2013.
- Schroer B, et al. Nonallergic rhinitis: Common problem, chronic symptoms. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 2012;79:285.
- LeBlond RF, ed., et al. DeGowin's Diagnostic Examination. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=534. Accessed Jan. 20, 2013.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 20, 2013.
- Post-Nasal Drip. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/postNasalDrip.cfm. Accessed Jan. 16, 2013.