An active life that includes sports may also include the risk of a torn ACL. Reduce your risk, and know when to get treatment.
Acute kidney failure is the sudden loss of your kidneys' ability to filter waste from your bloodstream. Correcting the underlying cause increases the likelihood of recovery.
Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
An arteriovenous fistula is a treatable blood vessel condition in which your blood doesn't flow normally through your capillaries. Untreated, it can lead to complications.
Atrial septal defect (ASD) is an abnormal opening between the heart's upper pumping chambers. It's common and readily treated.
A Baker's cyst is a swollen area behind your knee. Treating the primary cause — such as arthritis or a cartilage tear — usually helps relieve pain.
Behcet's disease affects several body systems and causes a variety of signs and symptoms. Find out what it is and how it's treated.
Cardiomyopathy is a heart muscle disease. Treatment options depend on what type of cardiomyopathy you have.
Ebstein's anomaly is a rare heart defect. Some people may not have any symptoms, but others may need treatment, including surgery.
Hamstring injury — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatments, self-care, prevention of this leg muscle injury.
Hashimoto's disease (chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) causes thyroid gland inflammation and often an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). Treatment may involve thyroid hormone replacement medication.
Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Find out what could cause knee pain.
Myocarditis is a disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed and swollen, often as the result of an infection.
Neuroblastoma most commonly affects children age 5 and younger. It's the most common form of cancer in babies.
Osgood-Schlatter disease can cause pain, swelling and tenderness below the kneecap. This common condition often affects young athletes involved in running, jumping and bending activities.
Less common than an ACL knee injury, a torn posterior cruciate ligament can be painful and sideline you for months. Find out more.
Prostate cancer is a common cancer affecting men. But with early detection, you improve your chances of successful treatment.
Pulmonary embolism occurs when one or more arteries in your lungs become blocked. Surgery, cancer, family history and long airplane trips may place you at risk.
Varicose veins are enlarged veins commonly found close to your skin's surface. Self-help measures can prevent them from getting worse; removing them is an option.
Water on the knee refers to excess fluid inside or around your knee joint. Find out what causes this common knee problem.
Apr. 11, 2014
- Sterns RH. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of edema in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Sterns RH. Pathophysiology and etiology of edema in adults. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic venous disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Fuster V, ed. et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Cooper KL. Care of the lower extremities in patients with acute decompensated heart failure. Critical Care Nurse. 2011;31:21.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.