A knee brace may reduce osteoarthritis pain in your knee by shifting the force of your weight off the damaged part of your knee when you walk.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Osgood-Schlatter disease can cause pain, swelling and tenderness below the kneecap. This common condition often affects young athletes involved in running, jumping and bending activities.
Less common than an ACL knee injury, a torn posterior cruciate ligament can be painful and sideline you for months. Find out more.
Twisting the knee can cause a common knee injury known as a torn meniscus. Treatment sometimes includes surgery.
June 21, 2016
- Firestein GS, et al. Hip and knee pain. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Knee and lower leg. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Beutler A. Patient information: Knee pain (Beyond the basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Beutler A, et al. Approach to the athlete or active adult with knee pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Hergenroeder AC. Approach to chronic knee pain or injury in children or skeletally immature adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 19, 2016.