Acute sinusitis occurs when your sinus cavities become inflamed. Antibiotics, decongestants and corticosteroids may relieve pain and congestion and prevent development of chronic sinusitis.
Behcet's disease affects several body systems and causes a variety of signs and symptoms. Find out what it is and how it's treated.
Blocked tear ducts are common at birth, but tear ducts can also become blocked in adulthood by infection or trauma. Treatment is almost always successful.
Dry socket, a painful complication of tooth extraction, results from improper healing of the surgical wound.
Entropion occurs when your eyelid turns inward so that eyelashes rub against the eye. Surgery is usually necessary to relieve symptoms and prevent cornea damage.
Reduce eyestrain by following these simple tips.
Glaucoma is a group of eye conditions that, left untreated, can seriously damage your optic nerve and lead to blindness.
Gonorrhea is a highly contagious sexually transmitted infection. Without treatment, serious complications can occur.
Iritis is inflammation that affects the colored area of your eye called the iris. This serious condition can affect your vision if left untreated.
Keratitis is an inflammation of the cornea — the clear, dome-shaped tissue on the front of your eye that covers the pupil and iris.
Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve, the structure that transmits visual information to your brain. Optic neuritis usually causes temporary vision loss.
Sarcoidosis starts in your lungs but can cause inflammation in any part of your body. It can last a lifetime, or disappear in a few years.
Trachoma is the leading infectious cause of blindness worldwide. It's particularly devastating in countries where sanitation isn't reliable.
Wegener's granulomatosis is an uncommon disease that causes blood vessel inflammation that can damage lungs, kidneys and other organs. Untreated, it can be fatal.
West Nile virus infection usually resolves on its own, but occasionally it can be serious.
March 01, 2013
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Eye pain. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye_disorders/symptoms_of_ophthalmologic_disorders/eye_pain.html?qt=eye pain&alt=sh. Accessed Jan. 14, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil's Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 24, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 26, 2013.