Hidradenitis suppurativa is a chronic and often painful skin disease. Early diagnosis and treatment offer hope for managing the symptoms.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that result from buildup of natural chemicals call porphyrins, which can cause nervous system and skin problems.
Serotonin syndrome — caused by mixing some antidepressants and other medications — can be life-threatening if left untreated.
Find out about this rare cause of heart attack in young, healthy people.
Oct. 14, 2015
- What is a heart attack? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Disorders of the eccrine sweat glands and sweating. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperhidrosis (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Robertson D, et al., eds. Sweating. In: Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System. 3rd ed. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier; 2012.
- Bolognia JL, et al. Diseases of the eccrine and apocrine sweat glands. In: Dermatology Essentials. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- HIV/AIDS. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/HIVAIDS/Understanding/Pages/symptoms.aspx. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Marx JA, et al. Heat illness. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Malaria. First Consult. May 18, 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Semkova K, et al. Hyperhidrosis, bromhidrosis and chromhidrosis: Fold (intertriginous) dermatoses. Clinics in Dermatology. 2015;33:483. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 14, 2015.