When to see a doctor

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If you're premenopausal and you have infrequent episodes of vaginal bleeding after sex — and you've had normal results on routine Pap tests — you don't need to see your doctor to be evaluated. If the vaginal bleeding bothers or worries you, you could make an appointment with your doctor to get it checked out.

If you're postmenopausal, vaginal bleeding at any time must be evaluated. Having atrophic vaginitis or other symptoms of vaginal dryness may be the reason that you're experiencing vaginal bleeding after sex. Your best bet is to consult with your doctor to be sure that the cause of vaginal bleeding isn't something serious.

Oct. 18, 2011