Some men have a penis that curves to the side, upward or downward when erect. This is common, and a bent penis in most men isn't a problem. Generally, a bent penis is only a cause for concern if your erections are painful or if the curvature of your penis interferes with sex.
A bent penis usually doesn't require treatment. However, if you have a severely bent penis that causes pain or interferes with sex, see a doctor. You might need to see a doctor who specializes in sexual and urinary problems (urologist).
May 30, 2014
- Brant WO, et al. Peyronie's disease: Diagnosis and medical management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2014.
- Peyronie's disease. Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=115. Accessed March 18, 2014.
- Montag S, et al. Abnormalities of penile curvature: Chordee and penile torsion. The Scientific World Journal. 2011;11:1470.
- Peyronie's disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/peyronie/index.aspx. Accessed March 17, 2014.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed March 17, 2014.