Angina is a common type of chest pain caused by coronary artery disease. Unstable angina can be a warning sign of a heart attack.
Brachial plexus injuries affect the nerves that control your arms and hands. Serious injuries require early diagnosis for successful treatment.
Broken arm? If your arm hurts too much to use normally, seek prompt medical care.
Buerger's disease affects blood vessels in your arms, legs, fingers and toes, causing pain and swelling. This rare disease is usually caused by tobacco use.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the nerve running through your wrist. Treatment can provide relief.
Fibromuscular dysplasia is a rare, but treatable, condition in which the arteries to your kidneys, brain or abdomen narrow, reducing blood flow to your organs.
Back pain may mean you have a herniated disk — but not always. In fact, you can have disk herniation without pain. Here are the facts.
Don't let the flu set you back. Find out how to protect yourself from getting sick with the flu.
Myocardial ischemia is a heart problem that occurs when blood flow to your heart muscle is decreased, reducing the heart's oxygen supply.
Your bones are made up of living tissue that's continually being renewed. Paget's disease of bone disrupts that process, sometimes causing serious complications.
One of the most feared diseases of the 20th century, polio has been eradicated from the developed world but remains a threat in less developed nations.
Porphyria is a group of inherited disorders that cause buildup of natural chemicals (porphyrins), which can result in nervous system and skin problems.
Recurrent breast cancer — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer recurrence.
Find out about this rare cause of heart attack in young, healthy people.
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a group of disorders that occur when the nerves or vessels in the shoulder area (thoracic outlet) are compressed.
Apr. 09, 2013
- Kinirons M, et al. French's Index of Differential Diagnosis: An A-Z. 15th ed. London, England: Hodder Arnold; 2011:35.
- Seller RH. Differential Diagnosis of Common Complaints. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007:299.
- Heart attack. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack/. Accessed Feb. 5, 2013.
- Shoulder, arm and elbow. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/menus/arm.cfm. Accessed Jan. 30, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 3, 2013.