When to seek medical advice
Get emergency care if:
- You see exposed bone or tendon
- You're unable to put weight on your foot
- You have severe pain or swelling
See your doctor as soon as possible if:
- You have signs of infection, such as redness, warmth and tenderness in the affected area.
- You have a fever of more than 100 F (37.8 C).
Schedule an office visit if:
- Swelling doesn't improve after two or three days of home treatment
- Minor pain doesn't go away after several weeks
- You have ankle swelling, stiffness and pain that's worse in the morning or after you've been active