Polycystic kidney disease can affect many organs in your body in addition to your kidneys, and it can cause serious complications. Mayo Clinic takes a comprehensive approach to treatment involving many different specialists to address all the issues you may face. Treatment for polycystic kidney disease at Mayo Clinic includes:
- Closely monitoring and managing polycystic kidney disease in an effort to extend the life of the kidneys.
- Detecting and treating complications — such as high blood pressure (hypertension), bladder infections, kidney infections and kidney stones — in their early stages.
- Managing the complex medical problems often associated with polycystic kidney disease, such as massive polycystic liver disease, chronic renal pain and kidney failure.
- Providing timely referral to transplantation specialists if you require a kidney transplant. Mayo Clinic's Kidney transplant program is among the largest in the country.
- Working with Mayo Clinic's experts in genetics who can determine who else in your family is at risk of getting polycystic kidney disease.
Read more about the complications and treatment of polycystic kidney disease at MayoClinic.com.