Your Mayo Clinic care team
At Mayo Clinic, a multispecialty team of doctors works together to develop a personalized treatment plan for you based on your needs.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Researchers at Mayo Clinic study how to improve the diagnosis and treatment of people with POEMS syndrome. Specific efforts include defining criteria for diagnosing the disorder, evaluating the effectiveness of radiation treatment and using stem cell transplants.
POEMS syndrome can be difficult to diagnose. Mayo Clinic has doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating protein disorders of the blood, including POEMS. Mayo Clinic patients also have access to clinical trials and the latest research.
June 23, 2017
- Rajkumar SV. POEMS syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 4, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. POEMS syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Kourelis TV, et al. Long-term outcome of patients with POEMS syndrome: An update of the Mayo Clinic experience. American Journal of Hematology. 2016;91:585.
- Kourelis TV, et al. Risk factors for and outcomes of patients with POEMS syndrome who experience progression after first-line treatment. Leukemia. 2016;30:1079.
- Dispenzieri A. POEMS syndrome: Update on diagnosis, risk-stratification, and management. American Journal of Hematology. 2015;90:952.