Caring for children has been a priority at Mayo Clinic since the earliest days of practice in Rochester, Minn. In 1896, the Mayo brothers used their first X-ray to help a small boy who had swallowed an open buckle. The then-new technology allowed them to locate the buckle and successfully plan its removal.
Much of the early pediatric practice at Mayo focused on childhood infections, broken bones, and physical deformities. Here (right) Dr. Charlie Mayo is pictured with a young friend.
Early in the 20th century, the Mayo's associate, Dr. Christopher Graham, saw many pediatric adolescent patients. Dr. Graham also was recognized for his contributions to the specialty fields of obstetrics and laboratory medicine, but he won special renown as "Foxy Grandpa," the nickname bestowed by his young patients.
Mayo Clinic was one of the pioneer medical centers to organize a pediatric practice. Exactly 75 years before the dedication of Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital, in January 1921, Mayo Clinic opened its first pediatric section.
Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital carries the Mayo Clinic tradition of service into the 21st century.