Mayo Clinic's billing process
After you receive care, each episode of care will be assigned a visit number, and this number is attached to the end of the Mayo Clinic number. The visit number is used to track services and payments. In some cases, there may be multiple visit numbers associated with the same episode of care.
Mayo Clinic will send you an itemized statement of charges. This document is not a bill. It will provide detailed visit billing information that won't appear on the monthly statement of account. Please retain this information for your records.
The itemized statement of charges includes the following information:
- Itemized list of charges for services at one of Mayo Clinic's facilities
- Identification of and information concerning your insurance company, if applicable
You may see more than one charge for one office visit. This can occur because the routine and preventive portion of the visit must be billed separately from the nonroutine and nonpreventive portion.
In some cases, you may receive multiple itemized statements associated with the same visit. You'll receive a separate itemized statement for each facility participating in your care. For example, laboratory and radiology services at the primary care sites may be processed at another facility.
Monthly statement of account
The monthly statement of account will look different from the itemized statement of charges. This is your bill.
The billing account number on the statement is the Mayo Clinic number of the person assigned to receive the bill. The billing addressee (guarantor) is the person designated to receive the monthly billing statement listing all patients and visits for which he or she is financially responsible. The itemized statement of charges you receive after each visit will clarify the new charges listed on the monthly statement of account.
The monthly statement of account includes these important features:
- Account Activity. This is the summary of new charges and detail of payments and adjustments made on each visit since the previous monthly statement.
- Insurance Claims Pending. This is a summary of the amount under consideration by your insurance company.
- Current Amount Due. This is your total balance minus any amount listed in the Insurance Claims Pending due for services provided at Mayo Clinic.
Itemized hospital charges
Extensive, specific details of hospital services will not be listed on Mayo Clinic's itemized statement of charges or the monthly statement of account. To view itemized hospital charges, use Mayo Clinic patient online services.
Alternatively, you may call Patient Account Services during business hours:
Patient Account Services in Arizona
Patient Account Services in Florida
Patient Account Services in Rochester, Minnesota
May 20, 2016