Inpatient rehabilitation unit renovation nears completion
Located at Saint Marys Hospital, one of Mayo Clinic's hospitals in Rochester, Minn., the inpatient rehabilitation unit has continually updated its services and infrastructure to provide the best care to every patient every day. The unit serves Mayo Clinic patients of all ages with a comprehensive spectrum of accredited rehabilitation programs.
In recent years, the program has incorporated innovative treatment strategies for locomotor training, virtual environment therapeutic interventions, electrical stimulation and robotics. In 2009, a comprehensive team rounding process was initiated, which enhanced patient satisfaction and resulted in a 2010 five-star patient satisfaction award. Continuing that long track record of excellence in patient care, the unit is completing a major renovation in 2011.
The design reflects an unwavering focus on the needs of patients and families, who provided extensive guidance to the design team. Key aspects of the renovation include the following:
- The majority of rooms are private rooms.
- Safety features such as observation windows allow staff to monitor patients when needed while being outside the room.
- Computers at the bedside enhance medication safety with armband bar code scanning.
- Environmental control units for rooms accommodating patients with high tetraplegia allow control of the blinds, lights, temperature, television, telephone and other room features.
- Ceiling lifts in every room facilitate safe patient transfers when needed.
- Specially designed expanded capacity room allows patients to use expanded capacity equipment to achieve maximal independence.
- Dedicated pediatric rooms have optimally sized features and aesthetics for children.
- Dedicated pediatric treatment spaces are designed to meet the unique needs of children.
- Patient-focused amenities in the rooms include refrigerators, height-adjustable tables and seating for family meals.
- Bathtubs in patient rooms allow greater opportunity for bathing practice before discharge.
- Inspirational art and aesthetics throughout the unit add visual appeal.
- Comprehensive ventilator monitoring in staff workrooms provides state-of-the-art ventilator patient safety.
- Centrally located family lounge provides comfortable space for visitors.