The Nathan Landow Atrium interconnects the Mayo and Gonda buildings. At the south end of atrium is the "Man and Freedom" statue. The 6,500-pound statue was created in 1954 by the late international artist Ivan Mestrovic. It originally hung on the exterior north wall of the Mayo Building, but was moved with the construction of the Gonda building and hung in the atrium in 2000. The sculpture depicts man's concept and love of freedom through the portrayal of a young man straining to reach the sky.