The Nurse Residency Program at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is a yearlong training program that provides you an additional opportunity as a newly licensed nurse to develop your leadership skills and receive support during your transition from student nurse to competent professional nurse.
Participation in the Nurse Residency Program is an investment in yourself and in your future as a nurse leader at Mayo Clinic.
Highlights of the program include:
- Monthly learning sessions
- Group discussions
- Transition support from peers and program leaders
- Active learning methods
- Group and/or individual evidence-based practice projects
All newly licensed nurses employed at Mayo Clinic receive a comprehensive orientation that prepares them for practicing in their nursing specialty environment. The Nurse Residency Program is an additional opportunity to participate in a rigorous training program that will help you build your leadership and professional skills as well as provide supplemental transition support during the first year of your career.
The Nurse Residency Program is in the process of transitioning to require all eligible individuals to participate in the program. As part of this transition, an application process is no longer required of potential residents.
Those eligible for the December 2015 cohort will be automatically entered into a randomized drawing. Those selected in the drawing will be required to participate in the program.
Beginning with the April 2016 cohort, the randomized drawing process will be dropped, and all eligible individuals will be required to participate in the Nurse Residency Program.
- Transition from an entry-level, advanced beginner nurse to competent professional nurse who provides safe, quality care
- Develop effective decision-making skills related to clinical judgment and performance
- Develop strategies to incorporate research-based and other evidence into practice
- Develop clinical leadership skills at the point of patient care
- Formulate an individual career plan that promotes a lifelong commitment to professional nursing
Eligible candidates for the Nurse Residency Program are individuals who:
- Have been hired into a scheduled FTE registered nurse position (not a supplemental position) in the Department of Nursing at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota
- Are graduates of an accredited baccalaureate nursing program as recognized by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN, formerly NLN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Have less than 12 months of experience working as a licensed registered nurse
Program cohorts start several times a year. You will only be eligible for the cohort designated for your hire date. Your hire date is the date you start your employment as a registered nurse at Mayo Clinic.
|Cohorts and start dates may be changed or canceled without notice.
||Eligible hire dates
||Aug. 24, 2015, to Oct. 19, 2015
||Nov. 2, 2015, to Feb. 8, 2016
||Feb. 22, 2016, to April 18, 2016
||May 2, 2016, to June 13, 2016
Sept. 02, 2015