The Nurse Residency Program at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is a yearlong training program that provides you an additional opportunity as a newly licensed nurse to develop your leadership skills and receive support during your transition from student nurse to competent professional nurse. The choice to participate in the Nurse Residency Program is an investment in yourself and in your future as a nurse leader at Mayo Clinic.
Highlights of the program include:
- Monthly learning sessions
- Group discussions
- Transition support from peers and program leaders
- Active learning methods
- Group and/or individual evidence-based practice projects
All newly licensed nurses employed at Mayo Clinic receive a comprehensive orientation that prepares them for practicing in their nursing specialty environment. The Nurse Residency Program is an additional opportunity to participate in a rigorous training program that will help you build your leadership and professional skills as well as provide supplemental transition support during the first year of your career.
You may choose to apply for this optional program if you are a highly motivated individual who has a desire to quickly become able to perform to the full scope of your nursing practice and contribute to the profession of nursing at Mayo Clinic.
- Transition from an entry-level, advanced beginner nurse to competent professional nurse who provides safe, quality care
- Develop effective decision-making skills related to clinical judgment and performance
- Develop strategies to incorporate research-based and other evidence into practice
- Develop clinical leadership skills at the point of patient care
- Formulate an individual career plan that promotes a lifelong commitment to professional nursing
Eligible candidates for the Nurse Residency Program are individuals who:
- Have been hired into a scheduled FTE registered nurse position (not a supplemental position) in the Department of Nursing at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota
- Are graduates of an accredited baccalaureate nursing program as recognized by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN, formerly NLN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Have less than 12 months of experience working as a licensed registered nurse
Application materials will be provided to eligible individuals upon their successful hire into a registered nurse position at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
If accepted into the Nurse Residency Program, residents are expected to attend at least 9 of the 10 sessions.
Program cohorts start three or four times a year. You may only apply for the cohort designated for your hire date. Your hire date is the date you start your employment as a registered nurse at Mayo Clinic.
The deadline for applications is midnight on the date noted. Incomplete applications or those sent after the deadline will not be considered.
|*Cohorts and start dates may change or be canceled without notice.
||Eligible hire dates
||Cohort start dates*
||Dec. 15, 2014
||Jan. 8, 2015
||May 4, 2015
||May 28, 2015
||Aug. 10, 2015
||Sept. 3, 2015
Please note that your employment status and employment start date are unaffected by your decision of whether or not to apply for the Nurse Residency Program and are unaffected by whether or not you are accepted into the program.