Greater Phoenix, known as the Valley of the Sun, is a metropolitan community set in the natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert, one of the most ecologically diverse deserts in the world. The area, which is home to about 4 million people, consists of more than 25 cities and towns, including Phoenix and Scottsdale, the locations of Mayo Clinic's two primary Arizona campuses.
This "desert metropolis" offers the amenities of a big city in the midst of a rugged, southwest landscape. The area is known for its strong arts and entertainment culture. In addition, the desert climate promotes an outdoor lifestyle with a full complement of recreational opportunities.
Some regional highlights:
- More than 130 art galleries and museums
- Miles of mountain and desert recreational trails
- Home teams in all four major professional sports leagues
- More than 200 golf courses
- The world's largest municipal park, the 16,500 acres of South Mountain Park and Preserve