The Summer III Nursing Externship at Mayo Clinic provides you with the opportunity to work alongside an R.N. clinical coach to experience nursing care in both inpatient units and operating rooms.
These patient care areas are located on the Mayo Clinic campus in downtown Rochester, Minn.
The Summer III Nursing Externship begins with a two-week paid orientation. This orientation is designed to introduce you to Mayo Clinic, your specific work unit and the Rochester community. There will be a combination of classroom work and hands-on training in your designated unit.
Uniforms and their care are your responsibility. Your uniform color will be assigned and communicated before the externship begins.
The Summer III Nursing Externship offers not only an educational work experience, but also opportunities to live, socialize and have fun with other nursing students from around the country.
Rochester has much to offer — read more about activities in the Rochester area.
Salary and benefits
Your hourly wage during the externship will be $16.21 an hour.
As part of the externship, you will have access to:
- A Mayo Clinic email account for both job-related and personal use
- The Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center
- Mayo Clinic-sponsored recreational programs
- Discounted tickets to local and regional special events
- Liability insurance while on duty
- Workers' compensation insurance coverage
You may make your own housing arrangements or choose to live in housing partially subsidized by Mayo Clinic. If you choose the Mayo option, you will be sub-leasing from Mayo Clinic, and housing costs are automatically deducted from your paycheck. You will be assigned roommates who are also enrolled in the externship.
Transportation and parking
You will need to make your own travel arrangements to and from work. Options include:
- Driving or carpooling to a Park and Ride lot, from which you take a Rochester Public Transit bus to the Mayo Clinic campus
- Taking public bus transportation on Rochester Public Transit (Mayo Clinic pays for your bus pass)
For more details about these options, please review the "How to Get to Work" guide.