Types of Jobs
Medical secretaries at Mayo Clinic help optimize the use of the healthcare provider's time and resources. Depending on the specific assignment, their tasks may include:
- transcribing medical dictation
- maintaining physician calendars
- composing and/or coordinating correspondence
- travel management
- maintaining committee minutes
- developing documents for publication or presentation
Work schedules are primarily day shifts Monday through Friday.
Medical transcriptionists at Mayo Clinic provide dedicated support for healthcare providers for their medical, surgical, and diagnostic practices. Medical transcriptionists document patient care and facilitate delivery of healthcare services.
They interpret and transcribe dictation from physicians and other healthcare providers regarding:
- patient assessment
- surgical, radiologic, and therapeutic procedures
- clinical course, diagnosis, prognosis, and follow-up
They require the ability to understand diverse accents and dialects and varying dictation styles. There are a variety of telework (working from home) schedules available.