Medical coders at Mayo Clinic work in a wide range of areas:
- Clinical outpatient. Medical coding for services rendered in the outpatient clinic setting, such as physician visits, laboratory and radiology services, and minor treatment procedures. It includes professional fees only.
- Hospital outpatient. Medical coding for services provided in the hospital outpatient setting, such as physician and emergency department visits and outpatient surgeries. It includes both professional and facility fees.
- Hospital inpatient. Medical coding for services rendered and resources used during a hospital stay, such as physician services, surgical procedures, laboratory and radiology services, and other services delivered in the hospital. It includes both professional and facility fees.
- Surgical. Medical coding for inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures.
- Reviewing and training. Training new staff and cross-training current staff, as well as conducting individual and focused reviews of all Mayo Clinic medical coding staff.
- Quality and compliance. Ensuring quality and compliance in all aspects of medical coding at Mayo Clinic.
- Leadership. Team leaders, assistant supervisors, operations analysts and supervisors working collaboratively to oversee and support all work areas and their staff members.