The first treatment step is identifying and removing any possible environmental causes. Some treatments used to repair lung damage include:
- Cytotoxic and antioxidant agents
- Immunomodulatory treatments
- Aerosolized granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor to treat pulmonary alveolar proteinosis
- Investigational drugs (research)
- Smoking cessation
- Home oxygen therapy helps people feel better and lead more active lives, but doesn't stop or reverse lung damage.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation is available for people with chronic pulmonary disease and their families.
- Lung transplant is an option for some people. Mayo Clinic in Florida and Minnesota have successful lung transplant programs.
Read more about interstitial lung disease treatment at MayoClinic.com.