The Information Technology Internship is an opportunity for students to gain "hands-on" experience while working with Mayo Clinic professionals. Examples of potential projects include:
- Working with researchers to extract and analyze data from a large data warehouse. Requires interpretation of the researcher's needs, development of appropriate SQL to query a complex relational database, and utilization of reporting tools to format and deliver results.
- Utilization of data modeling tools to document data structures, define data context, synchronize data content between physical databases, verify structures and relationships, and print visual models for development efforts.
- Work with automated software archiving tools to synchronize archived source code with production executables and database stored procedures.
- Test-script writing and execution; writing technical or customer documentation.
- Learning different IDX episode-related modules, module configuration, table maintenance, software enhancements, assist with software testing and implementation, report development and Web page development.
- Assist with Video WAN troubleshooting and repair work in Video Master Control as a remote camera operator, audio technician, or assist with Video WAN operations design and secure pricing for a meeting room AV system.
- Work on paging repair and programming, wireless phones, two-way and trunked radio, internal antenna system installation and documentation.
All interns begin with an orientation designed to acclimate them to the Rochester community, Mayo Clinic, and the Department of Information Technology.
The Information Technology internship not only offers an educational work experience, it also provides an opportunity to socialize and have fun with others from around the country. To promote information sharing and encourage interns to get to know each other, a group called the Mayo Information Technology Interns meets regularly.
The Rochester area has a lot to offer! See Rochester Community Information for more activities in our area.
Salary and benefits
In addition to your paid salary, you will have access to:
- an assigned email account
- the Dan Abraham Heathly Living Center
- participation in Mayo Clinic-sponsored recreational programs
- discount tickets to local and regional special events (available through the employee ticket offices, located in the Mayo Building and in the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center)
- liability insurance while on duty
20 2nd Avenue SW
$112 – $140/week
Transportation and parking
You will need to make your own arrangements for traveling to and from work. Below are some options.
- Park and Ride lots where you can catch a bus to the Mayo Clinic campus
- Public transportation on Rochester Public Transit — Mayo Clinic pays for your bus pass
- Biking to work
- Commuting to the Park and Ride with another intern