Hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed blood vessels located inside the rectum or around the anus. A fairly common ailment in older people, hemorrhoids are often the result of constipation, straining or pregnancy. In most cases, simple self-care methods will solve a hemorrhoid problem. Mayo Clinic's expertise may be helpful in cases of severe, persistent or complicated hemorrhoids.
Why choose Mayo Clinic for hemorrhoids
- Experience. Mayo Clinic surgeons have vast experience in treating the most complicated hemorrhoids. Hundreds of people are seen annually at Mayo Clinic for hemorrhoidal problems.
- Advanced treatments. Colon and rectal specialists at Mayo Clinic offer the most advanced treatment options.
- Comprehensive care. Mayo Clinic's comprehensive approach to care offers expert diagnosis that can be quickly followed by highly skilled surgical treatment as needed. Some treatments can be performed in an office setting; other treatments require outpatient surgery.
- Efficient care. If an invasive procedure is necessary, Mayo Clinic surgeons can band or remove your hemorrhoids within the day, eliminating a return visit to the doctor.
- Research. Mayo Clinic researchers continue to evaluate new ways to treat and remove hemorrhoids.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Read more about hemorrhoids.