Cultivating your spirituality
Spirituality also involves getting in touch with your inner self. A key component is self-reflection. Try these tips:
- Try prayer, meditation, mindfulness and relaxation techniques to help focus your thoughts and find peace of mind.
- Keep a journal to help you express your feelings and record your progress.
- Seek out a trusted adviser or friend who can help you discover what's important to you in life. Others may have insights that you haven't yet discovered.
- Read inspirational stories or essays to help you evaluate different philosophies of life.
- Talk to others whose spiritual lives you admire. Ask questions to learn how they found their way to a fulfilling spiritual life.
Nurturing your relationships
Spirituality is also nurtured by your relationships with others. Realizing this, it's essential to foster relationships with the people who are important to you. This can lead to a deepened sense of your place in life and in the greater good.
- Make relationships with friends and family a priority. Give more than you receive.
- See the good in people and in yourself. Accept others as they are, without judgment.
- Contribute to your community by volunteering.
Pursuing a spiritual life
Staying connected to your inner spirit and the lives of those around you can enhance your quality of life, both mentally and physically. Your personal concept of spirituality may change with your age and life experiences, but it always forms the basis of your well-being, helps you cope with stressors large and small, and affirms your purpose in life.
April 23, 2016
See more In-depth
- Seaward BL. Essentials of Managing Stress. 4th ed. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2017.
- Sood A. What is life's higher meaning? In: The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living. Cambridge, Mass.: Da Capo Press/Lifelong Books; 2013.
- Seaward BL. Stress and human spirituality. In: Managing Stress: Principles and Strategies for Health and Well-Being. 7th ed. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2012.
- Shrand J, et al. Manage Your Stress: Overcoming Stress in the Modern World. New York, N.Y.: St. Martin's Press; 2012.
- Olpin M, et al. Spirituality. In: Stress Management for Life. 4th ed. Boston, Mass.: Cengage Learning; 2016.