Need more help?
If the stress in your life is more than you can cope with, get help right away.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Go to the nearest hospital or emergency room
- Call your physician, health provider or clergy
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Once upon a time, a beautiful princess with a cover girl complexion and flowing blonde hair was imprisoned in a castle by her wicked stepmother and three evil stepsisters. She was destined for a life of hard labor with no chance to find the love of her life. Then one day, a handsome young prince rode across the moat on his white stallion. He threw up a rope ladder and rescued the princess from a very hard life. They rode off into the forest and lived happily ever after.
But now let's reboot and fast forward to the 21st century. Life is not simple. Life is not fair, and the good guys don't always win. So how can you make your dreams come true? Well, let me offer a couple of suggestions:
- Accept that there is no Prince Charming. There is no prince (or princess) who will rescue you from your shortcomings. You need to be proactive and assertive. You need to take responsibility for your own actions.
- Be your own hero. Unlike the princess who was rescued, there really is no free lunch. Without a toolbox of portable skills, life can be very treacherous.
- You are responsible for your own wellbeing. Of course, problems arise and setbacks occur, but you need to respond with resiliency or you won't go the distance and find your happy ending.
Join the discussion at #Stress.
Jul. 29, 2014