By Mayo Clinic Staff
Aug. 19, 2014
To best prepare this recipe, cut all of the vegetables a day ahead of time and put into a covered container and refrigerate. You may roast the eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper earlier in the day. Cover and refrigerate the vegetables until needed.
Number of servings Serves 6
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small yellow zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small green zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded, cored and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups coarse polenta (corn grits)
- 2 teaspoons trans-free margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, sliced
- 6 dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in water to rehydrate, drained and chopped
- 10 ripe olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
Heat the broiler (grill). Position the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
Brush the eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Arrange in single layer on a baking sheet and broil under low heat. Turn as needed and brush occasionally with 1 tablespoon olive oil. When tender and slightly browned, remove from the broiler (grill). Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for later use.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat a decorative, ovenproof 12-inch flan or quiche baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly whisk in polenta. Continue to stir and cook for about 5 minutes. When polenta comes away from side of pan, stir in margarine and season with 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper. Remove from heat.
Spread polenta into the base and sides of the baking dish. Brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
Drain spinach and press between paper towels. Top polenta with spinach. Arrange a layer of sliced tomatoes, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Top with remaining roasted vegetables. Sprinkle with oregano and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. When warmed through, remove from the oven. Cut into 6 wedges and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :1 wedge
- Total fat 9 g
- Calories 273
- Protein 7 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Total carbohydrate 41 g
- Dietary fiber 8 g
- Monounsaturated fat 5 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Trans fat Trace
- Sodium 155 mg
- Added sugars 0 g
- Vegetables 2
- Fats 2
- Carbohydrates 2
- Grains and grain products 2
- Vegetables 2
- Fats and oils 2
- Nonstarchy vegetables 2
- Fats 2
- Starches 2