By Mayo Clinic Staff
May 06, 2015
Lemon zest is full of essential oils that contribute lively flavor and aroma to this recipe. To get the zest, grate the lemon on a hand-held grater.
Number of servings Serves 8
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup skim milk, heated almost to boiling
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg, or 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- Lemon zest
Combine water, gelatin and lemon juice in blender container. Process on low speed 1 to 2 minutes to soften gelatin.
Add hot milk, processing until gelatin is dissolved. Add egg substitute, sugar, vanilla and cheese to blender container. Process on high speed until smooth.
Pour into 9-inch pie plate or round flat dish. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. If you wish, top with grated lemon zest just before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size :1/8 of cake
- Total carbohydrate 9 g
- Dietary fiber Trace
- Sodium 252 mg
- Saturated fat Trace
- Total fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Protein 9 g
- Monounsaturated fat Trace
- Calories 80
- Trans fat 0 g
- Added sugars 9 g
- Protein and dairy 1/2
- Sweets 1/2
- Meat and meat substitutes 1
- Sweets, desserts and other carbohydrates 1/2
- Sweets 1/2
- Dairy foods (low-fat or fat-free) 1/2
This recipe is one of 400 recipes collected in the "Fix-It and Enjoy-It! Healthy Cookbook" published by Good Books and available at the MayoClinic.com Bookstore.