People who follow the Mediterranean diet have a longer life expectancy and lower rates of chronic diseases than do other adults. Indeed, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans point to the Mediterranean diet as an example of a healthy-eating plan.
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts. It replaces butter with healthy fats, such as olive oil and canola oil, and uses herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods. Red meat is limited to no more than a few times a month, while fish should be on the menu twice a week.
The Mediterranean diet is also about enjoying delicious foods — as you'll discover when you try these recipes.
- Barley and roasted tomato risotto
- Grouper with tomato-olive sauce
- Mediterranean-style grilled salmon
- Pasta with spinach, garbanzos and raisins
- Polenta with roasted Mediterranean vegetables
- Tuscan white bean stew
- Vegetable and garlic calzone
- Artichokes alla Romana
- Bean salad with balsamic vinaigrette
- Beet walnut salad
- Braised kale with cherry tomatoes
- Fresh tomato crostini
- Roasted red pepper with feta salad
- Almond and apricot biscotti
- Baked apples with cherries and almonds
- Berries marinated in balsamic vinegar
- Frosty almond date shake
- Poached pears
Aug. 21, 2015
- Mediterranean Diet & Pyramid: Overview. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/resources/heritage-pyramids/mediterranean-pyramid/overview. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. Appendix E-3.7. Developing Vegetarian and Mediterranean-Style Food Patterns. http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/15-appendix-E3/e3-7.asp. Accessed Aug. 7, 2015.
- Med diet tips for everyone. Oldways Preservation Trust. http://www.oldwayspt.org/what-can-you-do/consumers?page=5. Accessed July 28, 2015.