Watch out for hazards on the course
Safety on the course is also important. While golfing, be careful to limit your sun exposure. Protect your skin by using sunscreen. Wear sunglasses to filter out UVA and UVB rays, and wear a hat with a visor to shade your eyes and face.
Watch for signs and symptoms of dehydration, heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Red flags might include a headache, dizziness, nausea, a rapid heartbeat or confusion. Drink plenty of water, and cut your game short if necessary.
And remember to keep an eye out for storms. Call it quits at the first sign of threatening skies or lightning.
Whether golf is a new interest or a lifelong passion, make the most of your time on the course by protecting yourself from golf injuries. Consider it all part of the game.
Sep. 01, 2012
See more In-depth
- Gluck GS, et al. The lumbar spine and low back pain in golf: A literature of swing biomechanics and injury prevention. The Spine Journal. 2008;8:778.
- Fradkin AJ, et al. Golf injuries - Common and potentially avoidable. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2005;8:163.
- Golf injury prevention. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00137. Accessed June 12, 2012.
- Keep golf injuries from sending you to the clubhouse. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www6.aaos.org/news/Pemr/releases/release.cfm?releasenum=693. Accessed June 12, 2012.
- Golf injuries. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. http://www.sportsmed.org/components/layouts/Standard2.aspx?pageid=1705&id=1525&terms=golf%20injuries. Accessed June 12, 2012.
- Brandon B, et al. Training to prevent golf injury. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2009;8:142.
- Bayes MC, et al. Upper extremity injuries in golf. The Physician and Sports Medicine. 2009;37:92.
- Golfers' wrist injuries often occur from overuse, poor mechanics or trauma. Mayo Clinic Medical Edge. http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge-newspaper-2012/may-18b.html. Accessed June 12, 2012.
- Low back pain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00311. Accessed June 12, 2012.