Watch out for hazards on the course
Be careful to limit your sun exposure while golfing. Remember to:
- Use sunscreen.
- Wear sunglasses to filter out UVA and UVB rays.
- Wear a hat with a visor to shade your eyes and face.
Watch for signs and symptoms of dehydration, heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Drink plenty of water, whether you feel thirsty or not, and cut your game short if necessary. Red flags for heat-related injury might include:
- Muscle cramps
- Rapid heartbeat
When riding in a golf cart, keep your feet inside the cart. Golfers have suffered broken ankles when their feet have been caught in the moving parts of golf carts.
Keep an eye out for storms. Call it quits at the first sign of threatening skies or lightning.
Whether golf is a new interest or a lifelong passion, make the most of your time on the course by protecting yourself from golf injuries. Consider it all part of the game.
July 15, 2015
See more In-depth
- DeLee JC, et al. Overview of sports-specific injuries. In: DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 30, 2015.
- Cohn MA, et al. Upper extremity golf injuries. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases. 2013;71:32.
- Golf injury prevention. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00137. Accessed May 30, 2015.
- Lindsay DM, et al. Golf-related low back pain: A review of causative factors and prevention strategies. Asian Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014;5:e24289.
- Low back pain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00311. Accessed May 30, 2015.
- Ek ETH, et al. Hand and wrist injuries in golf. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2013;38A:2029.
- Heat injury and heat exhaustion. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00319. Accessed May 30, 2015.
- Golf injuries. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. http://www.sportsmed.org/uploadedFiles/Content/Patient/Sports_Tips/ST%20Golf%20Injuries%2008.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2015.