Is an electric toothbrush better than a manual toothbrush?
Answers from Thomas J. Salinas, D.D.S.
It's possible to brush your teeth effectively with a manual toothbrush. However, an electric toothbrush can be a great alternative to a manual toothbrush, especially if you have arthritis or other conditions that make it difficult to brush well. An electric toothbrush's bristle movement might even help you remove more plaque from your teeth and improve your gum health.
If you choose to use an electric toothbrush, make sure the toothbrush is comfortable to hold and easy to use. Your dentist might suggest a model with a rotating-oscillating head or a head that uses ultrasonic pulses to move the bristles. Other features, such as adjustable power levels, timers and rechargeable batteries, are optional. Follow the manufacturer's instructions about when to replace the head to ensure the toothbrush continues working effectively.
Whether you choose an electric toothbrush or a manual toothbrush, remember that what's most important is daily brushing and flossing.
Oct. 10, 2014
Thomas J. Salinas, D.D.S.
See more Expert Answers
- Rosema NAM, et al. Comparison of the use of different modes of mechanical oral hygiene in prevention of plaque and gingivitis. Journal of Periodontology. 2008;79:1386.
- Williams K, et al. A study comparing the plaque removal efficacy of an advanced rotation-oscillation power toothbrush to a new sonic toothbrush. The Journal of Clinical Dentistry. 2008;19:154.
- Pizzo G, et al. Plaque removal efficacy of power and manual toothbrushes: A comparative study. Clinical Oral Investigations. 2010;14:375.
- A look at toothbrushes. Journal of the American Dental Association. 2007;138:1288.
- Toothbrushes. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/t/toothbrushes. Accessed June 20, 2014.
- Robinson P, et al. Manual versus powered toothbrushing for oral health. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD002281.pub3/abstract. Accessed June 20, 2014.