I'm considering having my ears stapled to help me lose weight. Does this work?
Answers from Brent A. Bauer, M.D.
Ear stapling for weight loss isn't likely to work — and it poses a serious risk of infection.
Ear stapling is based loosely on the principles of acupuncture, which involves stimulating certain points with fine needles. With acupuncture of the ear, the needles are typically left in place for only a short time.
Proponents of ear stapling claim that the staples stimulate a pressure point that controls appetite, leading to weight loss. Small surgical staples are placed into the inner cartilage of each ear. The staples can be left in place for several weeks or even months.
Although some studies suggest that acupuncture can reduce appetite, ear stapling hasn't been proved effective for weight loss. And the largely unregulated practice of ear stapling can be dangerous if done in unsanitary conditions or by an untrained practitioner. In fact, puncturing ear cartilage poses a risk of serious infection and permanent disfigurement.
If you're overweight, don't depend on ear stapling for weight loss. Instead, discuss proven weight-loss strategies with your doctor.
July 28, 2015
See more Expert Answers
- Burkhead SK, et al. Auriculotherapy complications: Ear stapling gone bad. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2007;137:215.
- Yeh C, et al. Effects of ear points' pressing on parameters related to obesity in non-obese healthy and obese volunteers. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008;14:309.
- Lein C-Y, et al. Effects of auricular stimulation on obese women: A randomized, controlled clinical trial. European Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2012;4:e45.
- Schukro RP, et al. The effects of auricular electroacupuncture on obesity in female patients — A prospective randomized placebo-controlled pilot study. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2014;22:21.
- Tan J-Y, et al. Adverse events of auricular therapy: A systematic review. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014;2014:506758.