What is melatonin?
Melatonin is a hormone that helps regulate your body's internal clock. It's best known as a sleep aid. Your brain naturally produces melatonin in response to darkness. Your melatonin level peaks around bedtime, helping induce and maintain normal sleep.
Should I consider taking a melatonin supplement?
Some research suggests that taking a melatonin supplement at the right time might help treat jet lag, insomnia or other sleep disruptions.* Melatonin may also reduce the time it takes to fall asleep, although this effect is typically mild.*
Melatonin may also play an important role with pain. Pain can reduce both the length and quality of sleep, and poor sleep can increase the experience of pain. Promoting good, restful sleep can minimize the experience of pain as you heal.* Sleep also is important to the healing process. Healthy levels of melatonin during sleep act as an antioxidant and can help support the overall process of normal healing.*
What are the dietary sources of melatonin?
Small amounts of melatonin are found in foods such as walnuts, corn and asparagus. Some research suggests that the concentrated juice of the tart cherry, also known as the sour or Montmorency cherry, is a good source, although research is conflicting.
How can a melatonin supplement affect my health?
Supplemental melatonin can support you in several ways:
July 26, 2016
- Decreases the time to fall asleep*
- Improves the ability to stay asleep*
- Enhances the depth of sleep*
- Helps maintain normal circadian rhythms*
- Acts as an antioxidant to support health and healing*
See more In-depth
- Melatonin: In depth. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/melatonin. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- Melatonin. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- Melatonin. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- Cicero A, et al. High Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Prevention. 2015;22:203.
- Ferracioli-Oda E, et al. PLoS One. 2013;8:e63773.
- Kennaway DJ. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2015 May 15. [ePub ahead of print].
- Paredes S, et al. Journal of Experimental Botany. 2009;60:57.
- Scheer F, et al. Sleep. 2012:35:1395.
- Stefani LC, et al. PLoS One. 2013;8:e74107.