Sushi is traditionally made with rice, seaweed and seafood. Because most types of seafood are relatively low in calories, most kinds of sushi are as well.
For example, a six-piece sushi roll made with fish and vegetables is typically 200 to 250 calories.
However, calories in sushi vary depending on preparation. For example, sushi that has fried ingredients, such as tempura, or mayonnaise or other sauces will be higher in calories.
If you're watching what you eat, go for lower calorie options, such as sashimi (raw fish) and nigiri (raw fish on a small bed of rice). Other good choices include sushi rolls made with fresh or pickled vegetables.
You can also ask that your sushi be made with a smaller portion of rice.
April 08, 2016
See more Expert Answers
- Calories count chart for mixed dishes. ChooseMyPlate.gov. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/sites/default/files/printablematerials/calories_mixed_dishes.pdf. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Food Tracker. U.S. Department of Agriculture. https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodtracker.aspx. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Duyff RL. Your food away from home. In: American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide. 4th ed. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons; 2012.
- Hensrud DD, et al. The Mayo Clinic Diet. Boston, Mass.: Da Capo Press; 2010.
- Zeratsky KA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 2, 2016.