Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) is a disease in which scar tissue develops on the parts of the kidneys that filter waste out of the blood (the glomeruli). FSGS can be caused by a variety of conditions. Without treatment, primary FSGS will usually lead to kidney failure where the only treatment options are dialysis or kidney transplant.
Why choose Mayo Clinic for FSGS treatment
- Experience. Mayo Clinic treats more than 400 people each year who have focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.
- Expertise. The large number of kidney specialists (nephrologists) at Mayo Clinic allows doctors to subspecialize in specific aspects of kidney medicine, including glomerular diseases such as FSGS.
- Teamwork. Kidney specialists work together with transplant specialists and other experts to develop the best treatment plan for you.
- New ideas. Mayo is active in research to better understand this condition and to test new therapies for FSGS through the Mayo Nephrology Collaborative Group.You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials of experimental treatments.
- Coordinated care. Mayo doctors work closely with your local doctor to coordinate treatment and follow-up care.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for kidney disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked high performing for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart