Showers, locker rooms and swimming pools can spread athlete's foot from person to person. Find out how you can prevent this common fungal infection.
How to identify, treat and prevent chilblains.
Cold sores are common and annoying. You can't cure or prevent them, but you can take steps to lessen their frequency and duration.
Whether it affects a small or large area of your body, itchy skin can be uncomfortable and persistent. Here's how to stop the itch.
Lichen planus is an inflammatory disorder that results in lesions on the skin or mucous membranes.
Lichen sclerosus is an uncommon skin condition characterized by white, blotchy patches of thinning skin. This skin disease predominantly affects postmenopausal women.
Nickel allergy is a condition in which contact with items containing nickel causes an itchy, red rash usually at the site of contact.
Polymorphous light eruption is a sun-induced skin rash affecting people who develop a sensitivity to sunlight.
Ramsay Hunt syndrome, a neurological disorder caused by the chickenpox virus, often involves a rash in the ear and mouth and facial muscle weakness.
Scabies is an intensely itchy skin condition caused by a tiny burrowing mite. Here's how to rid yourself of this parasitic pest.
Spider bites — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, complications, treatment of spider bites.
Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a disorder of the skin and mucous membranes. Often, this severe adverse reaction is caused by medication or an infection.
Feb. 11, 2015
- Subbarao I, et al., eds. American Medical Association Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care. New York, N.Y.: Random House; 2009.
- Millman M, et al., eds. Mayo Clinic Guide to Self-Care. 6th ed. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=392. Accessed Nov. 6, 2014.
- Buttaravoli P, et al. Minor Emergencies. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 5, 2014.
- Brennan FH. Treatment and prevention of foot friction blisters. ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal. 2013;17:45.
- Khodaee M, et al. Common ultramarathon injuries and illnesses: Race day management. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2012;11:290.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 16, 2014.