Student Nurse Extern Summer Program
Student Nurse Extern Summer Program participants work three 12-hour shifts each week, including every other weekend. Schedules are posted in advance, and your schedule will be designed so that you can shadow your assigned preceptor. Typically, shifts are:
- 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- 7 p.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Mayo Clinic Hospital is a 268-bed, multispecialty acute care facility. An electronic medical record is used for all nursing documentation.
The Student Nurse Extern Summer Program provides clinical experiences in these areas (subject to change):
- Emergency medicine. The Department of Emergency Medicine provides emergency care to patients of all ages and socio-economic backgrounds with a focus on medical, surgical, cardiac, stroke and transplant populations.
- Intensive and intermediate care. The 20-bed intensive care unit and 10-bed intermediate care unit are specialized areas that provide care for people with a variety of medical and surgical needs, including heart, liver, pancreas and kidney transplants.
- Intermediate care and transplant. A 24-bed medical-surgical unit and 12-bed intermediate care unit serve medical and surgical patients with a particular focus on solid organ transplants. Intermediate care is a multispecialty unit for patients who require more monitoring than is available on the medical-surgical floors but do not require intensive care.
- Orthopedics, urology and rehabilitation. With 33 medical-surgical beds and seven rehabilitation beds, this unit specializes in the acute medical and postoperative care of people who've undergone orthopedic or urologic surgery, as well as those in the acute rehabilitative phase of their recovery.
- Medical-surgical care. This 36-bed unit provides comprehensive, interdisciplinary care for adult and geriatric patients, and occasionally adolescent patients. The unit also serves people needing colorectal surgery, gynecological surgery and palliative care.
- Hematology-oncology. This 24-bed unit provides care for people with cancer.
- Blood and marrow transplant. This 30-bed unit provides care for blood and marrow transplant patients.
- Cardiovascular progressive care. Specializing in the care of people with cardiovascular diseases, this 36-bed unit includes heart transplant patients and those with ventricular assist devices.
- Neurology, neurosurgery, and ear, nose and throat. This is a 36-bed unit that cares for people with neurological conditions and ear, nose and throat diseases, as well as people undergoing neurosurgery.
Nursing staff at Mayo Clinic Hospital wear white uniforms and white shoes. You can wear your nursing school uniform if it is white. Acquiring and caring for uniforms is your responsibility.
You will also be required to wear a Mayo Clinic name badge, which will be provided at the start of the program.
Relocation and housing
You are responsible for housing and relocation expenses.
The Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce website has information about housing, recreation and cultural attractions.