Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals.
Symptoms sometimes begin after a physical trauma, surgery, infection or significant psychological stress. In other cases, symptoms gradually accumulate over time with no single triggering event.
Women are more likely to develop fibromyalgia than are men. Many people who have fibromyalgia also have tension headaches, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety and depression.
While there is no cure for fibromyalgia, a variety of medications can help control symptoms. Exercise, relaxation and stress-reduction measures also may help.
May 02, 2017
- Fibromyalgia. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Fibromyalgia/default.asp. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Clauw DJ, et al. Fibromyalgia and related conditions. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2015;90:680.
- Goldenberg DL. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Goldenberg DL. Initial treatment of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Fibromyalgia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Goldenberg DL. Pathogenesis of fibromyalgia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Goldenberg DL. Treatment of fibromyalgia in adults not responsive to initial therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Fibromyalgia. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/fibromyalgia. Accessed Oct. 19, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Fibromyalgia: The road to wellness. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Fleming KC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2017.