Drug information provided by: Micromedex
It is very important that your dentist check you closely for any problems or unwanted effects that may be caused by this medicine.
This medicine may cause serious types of allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Tell your dentist right away if you have a rash; itching; hoarseness; trouble with breathing; trouble with swallowing; or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth after you receive the medicine.
This medicine may cause a rare, but serious blood problem called methemoglobinemia. Call your dentist right away if you develop a blue or bluish purple color on the lips, fingernails, or skin, or have headaches, dizziness, fainting, sleepiness, or trouble with breathing after you receive this medicine.
During the time that the gum feels numb, serious injury can occur. Be especially careful to avoid injury until the numbness wears off and you have normal feeling in the area. Avoid foods or liquids that are very hot or very cold. Do not chew gum or food while your mouth feels numb. You may accidentally bite your tongue or the inside of your cheeks.