Description and Brand Names
Drug information provided by: Micromedex
US Brand Name
- Actamin Maximum Strength
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Sinus
- Anacin Aspirin Free
- Arthritis Pain Relief
- Childrens Mapap
- Childrens Nortemp
- Comtrex Sore Throat Relief
- Genapap Sinus
- Infants Tylenol Plus Cold
- Mapap Arthritis Pain
- Mapap Sinus PE
- Pain-Eze Rheu-Thritis
- Sinutab Sinus
- Sudafed PE Sinus Headache
Canadian Brand Name
- Actifed Sinus Regular
- Allergy Sinus Medication Extra Strength
- Childrens Tylenol Cold Bubble Gum Flavor
- Childrens Tylenol Cold Cherry Flavor
- Childrens Tylenol Cold Fruit Flavor
- Childrens Tylenol Decongestant
- Contac Sinus Pain Formula
- Counteract Childrens Cold Multi-Symptom Plus Cough
- Dimetapp Daytime Cold
- Dimetapp Extra Strength Daytime Cold
- Dristan ND
- Dristan ND Extra Strength
Decongestant and analgesic combinations are taken by mouth to relieve sinus and nasal congestion (stuffy nose) and headache of colds, allergy, and hay fever.
Decongestants, such as phenylephrine, and pseudoephedrine produce a narrowing of blood vessels. This leads to clearing of nasal congestion, but it may also cause an increase in blood pressure in patients who have high blood pressure.
Analgesics, such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and salicylates (e.g., aspirin, salicylamide), are used in these combination medicines to help relieve headache and sinus pain.
Acetaminophen and salicylates may cause kidney damage or cancer of the kidney or urinary bladder if large amounts of both medicines are taken together for a long time. However, taking the recommended amounts of combination medicines that contain both acetaminophen and a salicylate for short periods of time has not been shown to cause these unwanted effects.
These medicines are available without a prescription. However, your doctor may have special instructions on the proper dose of these medicines for your medical condition.
Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years of age. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects .
This product is available in the following dosage forms:
- Capsule, Liquid Filled
- Tablet, Chewable
- Tablet, Extended Release
- Powder for Solution
- Tablet, Effervescent
- Tablet, Extended Release, 12 HR